THE FIRST BASTION ON THE CHARLES IX FORTIFICATIONS
The renovation of the Orangery Museum in Paris has made it possible to study the oldest section of the fifth enclosure of Paris known as of the "Fossés jaunes". The Western face of this bastion wall, built during two phases (in the last third of 16th century and between 1632 and 1647), connected the Western end of Tuileries to the old fortification of Charles V. About 60 m of this enclosure, up to now little documented, was discovered. It consists of a broad ditch, a stone wall linked to buttresses and a high levee. A later building that leans on to the rampart was also discovered. It is probably the house of Gilles Renard who transformed the bastion into a garden in the years around 1630.