carte de situation

David LAVALL, Christian PIOZZOLI

Comparison of the Excavated Structure with the “Chouquet”, Book of Accounts
for the Fortifications during the "English Occupation" (15th Century)"



In 1998, road-works being carried on the Place de la République at Mantes-la-Jolie revealed remains of the lower room of the north tower of the Rosny Gate, part of the mediaeval town wall. Three gun-loops were identified of which two were for the use of semi-portable hand ordnance, one still having the metal pin for lodging an arquebus. The "Chouquet", a book of accounts relating to fortifications established under the "English occupation" of 1419 to 1449, dates these fittings to April 1430 and provides information on the Gate’s general layout. In addition, the "Chouquet" gives details of the taxation system introduced by the English ruler to finance work on the fortifications and the employment of masons, blacksmiths, carpenters etc. The third gun-loop, of French type, was probably installed during the third quarter of the 15th century to receive a small veuglaire-type cannon.



Logo ministère de la Culture et de la Communication    Inrap    Conseil général du Val-de-Marne    Logo des Hauts-de-Seine    Logo de la Seine-Saint-Denis

ISSN: 2101 - 3608    Ξ   Update: 10th june 2019   Ξ   Legal notice